01/09/2010

Mad about the Girl




I have just discovered a love for Mad Men and have just finished watching series two, (yeah, I know how behind I am). The styling in Mad Men is just immense, the key to detail is superb and costume designer Janie Bryant really does deserve all the credit she is getting.

My favourite character is Betty Draper, I know she's neurotic and a little crazy but I love her. (The boyfriend's fave is Don - I hope that isn't an omen). I think part of the reason I love Betty is that everything appears to be perfect, her hair is always set, the dresses are always perfectly pressed and the make up in place, even if everything around her is crashing down. I on the other hand am the exact opposite, which is why I love blazers. They are my go-to wardrobe piece. I have a basic black Zara one that I throw on with everything and anything, instantly updating a look from casual to smart casual.

So imagine my joy when watching series two and seeing Betty Draper in her riding gear, complete with various blazers. The tweed one in the image above is one of her more basic options. There are all sorts she wears throughout the series.



Yet even her off duty riding look (sans blazer) is immaculate. The cream coat and cashmere jumper, with just the hint of an Hermes scarf poking out under the collar - it's the casual elegance of Audrey Hepburn and Grace Kelly that I wish I possessed.



So even though she's a little nuts I will continue to covet Betty Draper's style and maybe purchase a check blazer, like this £70 Topshop one to attempt to bring a little Betty style into my life.

Images thanks to AMC

No comments:

Post a Comment