28/11/2011

I want, doesn't get


Jonathan Saunders SS12 - I will have this in the peach or green colour-way in case you are interested.

One of the problems with working in fashion is that you become a bit complacent and can start to take things for granted. For example, the other day flowers were sent to the office as a congratulations for our birthday issue and someone on the team (oh fine, it was me) complained that flowers were lovely and all but you have to find a vase or get someone to take them home, so actually they're a hassle and cake would've been better. So far, so un-grateful.

Also we go to press days to look at all the new season items, all the while compiling a mental wishlist (mine currently reads: Jonathan Saunders jumper, Valentino bag, paint and snakeskin effect Louboutin's). 

Often at these press days you get gifts, a lot of these gift get re-gifted to family and friends. I personally give mine out as Christmas presents, but I'm honest about it and actually I think my mother appreciates them more because she knows they are free, rather than me spending my hard earned cash on gifts. Occasionally we get given vouchers for money off, this then turns into conversations like this:

"Everything on this site/shop is sooo expensive."
"I know."
"I almost wish they hadn't given us a voucher because it's making me want to buy things that I can't afford."

Once more, un-grateful. It's like the saddest little princess crying tears in her Chanel couture gown. 

I like to imagine all industries are the same. Michelin star chefs, craving beans on toast because the idea of eating yet another meal with a Velouté of something makes them fed up. Sound engineers who want to go home and listen to the today program instead of the latest offering from Coldplay. Or racing drivers who occasionally wish they could take the bus so they don't have to drive. Yeah, that last one isn't likely but you get the idea. 

We all get complacent, so I think we should organise an annual job-perk swap. Chefs could swap with bankers, sound engineers with fashion folk. I'm not proposing a job swap, the country is in enough of a mess as it is without me taking the helm at HSBC but maybe we could have a day where we all get each the perks of someone else's job.

If for no other reason than it might make us all appreciate ours a little more.

No comments:

Post a Comment